In our next blog we will be discussing ways in which you can keep your refrigerator organized, so we thought in this week’s post we can start by giving you easy hints on how to keep it clean and smelling fresh first. Before we even get to the organization part, make sure your fridge is always clean. Below is simple step to step instructions you can follow to keep your refrigerator clean using this simple homemade solution. One can also use soap or detergent but it is not advisable as it might leave a fragrance that your food might absorb at a later stage.
Start by emptying the refrigerator
You will need:
1. 2 tablespoons baking soda
2. 900ml vinegar
3. Spray bottle
4. 1 litre warm water
5. Absorbent cloth
Mix baking soda and vinegar till baking soda has dissolved. Pour solution in spray bottle and shake vigorously. Spray the solution into the fridge concentrating a great deal on soiled parts. Leave it in for 2 mins to allow it to sink before you wipe it off with a damp cloth. Rinse cloth in warm water throughout this process.
Allow the fridge shelves to dry before you put back any of the food stuffs inside. Also make sure that you have wiped and cleaned the containers before you put them back inside. Now to maintain a fresh clean smell we recommend any of the following:
1. Ground coffee – Whether fresh or used, ground coffee is a good smell absorber, place it in a small container and leave it uncovered in the refrigerator for a few days.
2. Charcoal – charcoal is also a very good absorbed, put it in a shallow dish and leave it uncovered in the refrigerator.
3. Citrus fruits – with citrus fruits any can work, from oranges to grapefruit but we highly recommend lemon. Cut it into half and place it in the refrigerator with the open side facing up till it dries out.
4. Vanilla extract – soak a cotton ball in vanilla extract and place it in a bowl in the refrigerator, not only does it make your fridge smell fresh, it also eliminates bad odours.